Whether you’re moving a 1-bedroom condo or a large house, our moving guide will save you effort and expense. Learn how you can find the right residential movers, calculate how much your move will cost, and get a handy checklist that will help you plan your move like a pro.
Finding the Right Residential Movers
The first step in any move is finding the right movers. Whether you’re moving condos within the same city or getting ready to move your 5-bedroom house across the country, the right moving team will make a big difference in the success and efficiency of it.
Here are a few things to ask residential movers in Toronto or the GTA when you’re looking for the right one:
- Are you licensed and insured?
- How many moves have you completed?
- Do your trucks have GPS tracking?
- How much will the final move cost?
- Are there any additional fees I should be aware of?
- What if I have to move more items than originally planned?
One key piece of advice is to check the reviews people have left moving companies on platforms like HomeStars and Google. Plus, check their accreditation with the Better Business Bureau.
Calculate the Cost of Residential Moving Services
Moving can be a significant investment, especially if you’re going long-distance or have a lot of furniture or heavy items. The cost of a move is calculated in the following ways:
- Short Distance: The residential moving company will likely charge you by hour.
- Long Distance: The cost depends on the weight of your items and, possibly, the space they need in the truck. Traditionally, the cost is a fixed amount, which means the length of time it takes to complete the move doesn’t affect the cost.
- Single Item: Oversized, heavy, or non-standard items may be charged on a per-unit basis.
How long your move will take, how far you are moving, and whether you need any additional services are the major factors that will affect the cost of your move.
As all residential movers in Mississauga have their own pricing, acquiring quotes from several different companies can provide insight into what the average cost is. Make sure to ask what is or is not included with each quote so you can compare them with one another.
Choose the Additional Moving Services You Need
Residential moves can be a very stressful experience, especially if children are involved. Moving can feel like uprooting your life and taking it elsewhere, but, with the right help, a positive moving process can make the transition more seamless. Additional moving services are an excellent way to set yourself up with the help that you need to be successful; they also help to avoid strenuous lifting, risk of injury, and more negative possibilities.
Consider choosing additional services, such as:
- Furniture disassembly and assembly
- Packing and unpacking
- General labour services
- Temporary storage facilities
Use This Checklist from Residential Movers in Toronto
We’ve put together this handy checklist for you to use. It will help you plan before the move and ease your burden once you arrive at your new location.
3-6 months before moving
- Collect moving supplies
- Start packing all non-essentials
- Donate, sell, and discard items you don’t need
- Start identifying residential movers
- Prepare a binder for all documentation (receipts, letters, etc.)
- Book a moving company
2-6 weeks before moving
- Start packing anything not needed day-to-day
- Confirm your appointment with the chosen residential moving company
- Update your address with utility companies, your bank, internet provider, etc.
- Make arrangements for when you arrive at your new destination
1-3 days before move
- Complete packing
- Refill prescriptions if needed
- Pack travel bag(s) that will go with you
- Defrost your freezer and refrigerator
- Ensure someone will be at the destination to receive your belongings
- Check and sign the bill of lading (if required)
After your move
- Make sure all your belongings have arrived
- Check if any items are damaged
- Leave a review for your movers
Residential Moving Services of Choice in the GTA
Rent-a-Son is an award-winning residential mover in Mississauga and the GTA. We have over 2,000 successful moves under our belt and are proud of our 97% rating on HomeStars. Speak to our team to discuss your move or fill out a virtual inventory in minutes to receive an accurate quote.