Beware of movers and packers in Toronto that offer an unbelievably good rate. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is, as this family found out. So, how do you tell the great movers apart from the not-so-great ones?
Here are five tips that will help you identify reputable and reliable Toronto movers.
1. Get Quotes from Three or Four Companies
It can seem like extra effort, but it is vital that you get quotes from several different movers. That will help you understand prevailing market prices and the services being offered.
Armed with multiple quotes, you can shop around confidently, too. Do not be shy about asking why someone is offering a too-good-to-be-true rate and whether they will add hidden charges further down the line.
2. Make Sure the Services You Need Are Included (Not Hidden in the Fine Print)
Make sure that:
- The movers and packers in Toronto provide the services you need (such as furniture disassembly, clothes packing, and more).
- The services you need are included in the quote they provided (see step above).
Ensure everything is provided to you in writing (whether in an email or in a written contract) so you are not surprised later.
3. Establish Their Credibility
Claims like “best” and “#1” are all too easy to make on a website, but extremely hard to live up to. This is why you should check the three Rs: Referrals, Reviews, and Reputation.
- See if any friends, family, or colleagues have heard of or worked with the packing services in Toronto you are considering.
- Check the company’s reviews online on platforms like Google, Facebook, and HomeStars. A higher rating is good, and reviews can potentially point out the pros and cons of working with the mover.
- Look for positive media coverage, Best of HomeStars awards, and the “Baumler Approved” badge to confirm their reputation.
4. Do Not Make a Big Cash Deposit Upfront
It is standard for office and residential movers in the city to ask for a small deposit to confirm the moving appointment. However, if the packing services in Toronto ask for a large (or full!) cash deposit before the move, it is a big red flag!
No mover of repute will ask for such a thing. If they do, it is time for you to find someone else.
5. Make Sure They Are Accredited and Insured
Verify their credibility by checking if they are registered with the Better Business Bureau and Canadian Association of Movers. Your Toronto movers should also be insured, meaning you will receive compensation in case your belongings are lost or damaged. Note that some articles are not covered under insurance, so check what the movers will not cover beforehand.
Reliable, Dependable, and Reputable Movers and Packers in Toronto
Trusted by some homeowners, renters, and some of the top businesses in Canada, Rent-a-Son is one of the leading office movers and residential movers in Toronto.
Tell us about your move, get a competitive quote, and find out how we go the extra mile to make your move effortless.